Thursday, December 18, 2008

Purpose Driven Throw Up

Barack Obama made me so sad today by choosing Rick Warren to give his inauguration invocation. Who is Rick Warren? Does "The Purpose Driven Life" ring any bells?? For me, it rings bells of sugary packaged Christianity and sentimentality and ignorance! Ew, ew, ew. I'm trying to look at it from Obama's point of view, but it's hard to not be disappointed when Rick Warren is responsible for these gems of wisdom:

"There are about 2 percent of Americans who are homosexual, gay, lesbian people. We should not let 2 percent of the population...change teh definition of marriage that has been supported by every single culture and every single religion for 5,000 years...God created marriage for the purpose of family, love and procreation."  AND: "If Darwin was right, which is survival of the fittest then homosexuality would be a recessive gene because it doesn't reproduce," and therefore the gay disease would have died off by now. Hard to say whether it's dissing Darwin or the gays, but I think both?

Obama winning gave me such a hopeful feeling, and I still have it, and I hope to be as proud of our president as I fantasized I would be the night he won. But this is not my favorite way he could have started things off. The news says he's doing it to befriend the raging lunatic right-wing Christians, but why befriend them now, now that the votes have been cast and you won? What did Bush ever do to befriend the other side? Ummm. Nothing. I'm all for bringing the country together, but by means of Rick Warren? 

Maybe he'll surprise me and give a really wonderful speech and I'll feel okay about it. I hope so. But I'm glad I was not one of the millions planning to attend the inauguration, because this news just made it significantly less appealing.

Related note: saw Milk last night. Inspiring story, not perfectly executed in movie form. Gus Van Sant, sometimes you try too hard. And also, why are they all straight actors playing gay guys? But it had some good moments, and I'm glad they made the movie. I like the story "A Letter to Harvey Milk" by Leslea Newman better. 

Second to last day of school before break - holla!

No comments: