"'I'm embarrassed,' she writes. 'After all these years, all these things I know how to do and I'm still talking about my weight.'" (Wait, wait - she writes? Yes, because she wrote a letter to the Associated Press to explain herself. An apology letter. Dear America, Sorry I got fat again, I'm really embarrassed. Love, Oprah.) She's apparently not embarrassed enough to not go on about it, though, because she then writes: "I look at my thinner self and think, 'how did I let this happen again?'" Oh, Oprah. Now I'm embarrassed.
I guess I feel for Oprah. The poor lady has literally been trying her ENTIRE famous life to keep the god damned weight off, and she is seriously still talking about it. I think it just irks me because she is such a perfect symbol for the obsession we have in this country (maybe in this world? I don't really know) with not only losing weight, but doing it with a friend, and with a group, and with an audience, and talking, talking, talking about it. We not only want to lose weight, we want to talk about how we did it, what we ate today, what we cut out, how many calories we burned, how great our clothes feel, or how fat we feel in our clothes, blah blah blah, and, quite honestly, I want to blame Oprah for making it such a topic of conversation.
I think I'm mostly annoyed about this because when I hear Oprah talk about her gym-phobia and saying, "I was mad at myself. I was so frustrated I started eating whatever I wanted and that's never good," I hear myself and it sounds ugly. And fat.
So I am taking a vow of silence. Whatever issues I do or do not have with my weight, food, gym use, laziness, body, I will keep it to myself. I don't want to hear about Oprah's struggles with weight loss. I don't even want to hear about yours. I don't want even want to hear myself talk about my own. Shhh.
3 comments:
Welcome to the world of amazingness. I cannot wait to read everysinglepost.
love it. can't wait to read more.
Oprah has a billion dollars. Do you know how good billionaire food is?? You think I am fat now...
Post a Comment